Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Brillig


Twas brillig and the slithy toves did gyre and gimbal in the wabe, all mimsy were the borogroves and the mome wraths outgrabe

Well here's my aborted brillig picture- I shoulda gone with one of my thumbnails but I just winged it instead- and the result is a kinda patchwork.
Still, I like my toves, although I didn't do their whiskers really, but you get the whole gyre and gimaballing thing in the background there.
The Raths are too piglike I think and need to be more tapir like.
My motley bunch around the pot aren't sufficiently motley for my liking, and you can be sure if you see them again it will be a picture of dank disfigured motleyness.
The borogroves- well they probably ought to be more storklike instead of hornbill like.
Ah well its more a first run comp of ideas so its not so bad.

Just to change topic, maybe I ought to work from reference photos. I mean I have a whole bunch of reference books but I never use them as reference the way people do,- I study them, then put them away and start drawing with what I tried to remember and what I already knew.
Seems stupid to do it the hard way, but then I want the stuff I do to be 100% me.
Sigh, and why aren't there website fairies that come and fix your website overnight like the ones that sort out cobbler's labour issues?
Humph

3 comments:

Simon Scales said...

Hey Lach
cool pic man- the skech has a nice sense of depth to it . Keep em coming man!!! and add some colour to it :)

Ken said...

i saw your work on the drawing board forum - cool blog man!

Mat Brady said...

I left a comment here before, but it seems to not be here now. It must have vanished somehow.

I think it said something like: Wow!

Real nice stuff. I think this is my favourite of your pencil sketches.

Would luuuuurv to see this in colour. :D

M